This motor driver expansion board and its corresponding Python library make it easy to control a pair of bidirectional, brushed DC motors with a compatible Raspberry Pi (Model B+ or newer), including the Pi 3 Model B and Model A+. The expansion board features two MAX14870 H-bridge motor driver ICs from Maxim, which allow it to operate from 4.5 V to 36 V and make it well suited for driving small motors across a wide range of voltages. The board can deliver a continuous 1.7 A per channel and tolerate peak currents up to 2.5 A per channel for a few seconds. It is available either as a partial kit, with a female header and terminal blocks included but not soldered in, or fully assembled with these connectors soldered to the PCB.
Dual MAX14870 Motor Driver for Raspberry Pi, top view with dimensions.
The board?s default configuration uses five GPIO pins to control the motor drivers, making use of the Raspberry Pi?s hardware PWM outputs, and it uses one additional pin to read a fault output from the drivers. However, the pin mappings can be customized if the defaults are not convenient.
Note that this motor driver add-on is designed specifically for newer versions of the Raspberry Pi with 40-pin GPIO headers, including the Model B+, Model A+, Raspberry Pi 2 Model B and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B; it is not practical to use this expansion board with the original Raspberry Pi Model A or Model B due to differences in their pinout and form factor.
For controlling higher-power motors with a Raspberry Pi, consider our dual MC33926 motor driver add-on, and for lower-voltage motors, consider our DRV8835 dual motor driver kit. We also have a similar dual MAX14870 shield for Arduinos and Arduino-compatible boards and a single MAX14870 carrier for those with tighter space constraints or who only want to control one motor.
- Two single-channel H-bridge motor drivers with shoot-through protection and internal free-wheeling diodes (can each drive one DC motor)
- Motor supply voltage: 4.5 V to 36 V
- Output current: 1.7 A continuous (2.5 A peak) per motor
- Board can optionally power the Raspberry Pi base directly through add-on regulator (not included)
- Python library makes it easy to get started using this board as a motor driver expansion board
- GPIO pin mappings can be customized if the default mappings are not convenient
- Reverse-voltage protection on motor power supply
- Under-voltage lockout and protection against over-current and over-temperature
- Surface-mount resistor can optionally be added to enable automatic current limiting
Dual MAX14870 Motor Driver for Raspberry Pi, top and bottom sides.
This version of the motor driver is a partial kit, with connectors included but not soldered in. We also have PO3759 with Pins for an assembled version.
Dual MAX14870 Motor Driver for Raspberry Pi (kit version) with included hardware.
1x Pololu Dual MAX14870 Motor Driver for Raspberry Pi (Partial Kit) A Raspberry Pi is not included.