The Pololu adjustable boost regulator is a very flexible switching regulator (also called a switched-mode power supply, SMPS, or DC-to-DC converter) that can generate voltages higher than its input voltage. We offer two adjustable ranges: approximately 2.5 V to 9.5 Vand 4 V to 25 V. The output voltage can be set using the trimmer potentiometer in the upper-right corner of the board. The input voltage range is 1.5 V to 16 V (the input voltage should be kept below the output voltage). The integrated 2 A switch allows for output currents high enough to drive small motors, as in our 3pi robot, and allows large voltage gains, such as obtaining 24 V from two NiMH or NiCd cells.
Some example applications include:
- Powering 5 V or 3.3 V systems from lower-voltage batteries
- Powering 5 V subsystems (e.g. sensors) in lower-voltage (e.g. 3.3 V) systems
- Achieving consistent actuator operation when powered by fluctuating batteries
- Powering high-brightness LEDs or a large number of LEDs in series
Note: For high-volume applications, this product can be customized with fixed output voltages ranging from 2 V to 30 V.
- input voltage: 1.5 V to 16 V
- output adjustable from 2.5 V to 9.5 V or 4 V to 25 V
- 750 kHz switching frequency
- 2 A switch (and input) limit
- integrated over-temperature and over-current shutoff
- typical efficiency of 80-90% when doubling voltage and with 100-500 mA output
- small size: 10.7 x 22.4 x 5.8 mm (0.42" x 0.88" x 0.23")
- weight without header pins: 1.6 g (0.06 oz)