The compact (0.4" × 0.5") D24V5F9 synchronous buck voltage regulator takes an input voltage of up to 36 V and efficiently reduces it to 9 V while allowing for a maximum output current of 500 mA. This regulator offers typical efficiencies between 85% and 93% and has a very low dropout, so it can be used with input voltages as low as a few hundred millivolts above 9 V. The pins have a 0.1" spacing, making this board compatible with standard solderless breadboards and perfboards.
The D24V5Fx family of buck (step-down) voltage regulators generates lower output voltages from input voltages as high as 36 V. They are switching regulators (also called switched-mode power supplies (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converters) and have a typical efficiency between 80% to 93%, which is much more efficient than linear voltage regulators, especially when the difference between the input and output voltage is large. These regulators have a power-save mode that activates at light loads and a low quiescent (no load) current draw, which make them well suited for low-power applications that are run from a battery.
The different versions of this regulator all look very similar, so the bottom silkscreen includes a blank space where you can add your own distinguishing marks or labels. This product page applies to all eight versions of the D24V5Fx family.
The regulators feature short-circuit/over-current protection, and thermal shutdown helps prevent damage from overheating. The boards do not have reverse-voltage protection.
The picture on the right shows a 1 A D24V10Fx regulator next to a 0.5 A D24V5Fx regulator and a common 7805 linear regulator in a TO-220 package.
- Input voltage:
- 3 V to 36 V for output voltages of 1.8 V and 2.5 V
- [output voltage + dropout voltage] to 36 V for output voltages of 3.3 V and higher (see below for more information on dropout voltage)
- Fixed 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3.3 V, 5 V, 6 V, 9 V, 12 V, or 15 V output (depending on regulator version) with 4% accuracy
- Maximum output current: 500 mA
- Typical efficiency of 80% to 93%
- 500 kHz switching frequency (when not in power-save mode)
- 200 µA typical no-load quiescent current
- Integrated over-temperature and over-current shutoff
- Small size: 0.5" × 0.4" × 0.1" (13 mm × 10 mm × 3 mm)
Using the Regulator