The D24V50Fx family of step-down voltage regulators generates lower output voltages from input voltages as high as 38 V. They are switching regulators (also called switched-mode power supplies (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converters) with typical efficiencies between 85% and 95%, which is much more efficient than linear voltage regulators, especially when the difference between the input and output voltage is large. The available output current is a function of the input voltage and efficiency (see the Typical Efficiency and Output Currentsection below), but the output current can typically be as high as 5 A.
At light loads, the switching frequency automatically changes to maintain high efficiencies. These regulators have a typical quiescent (no load) current draw of less than 1 mA, and the ENABLE pin can be used to put the boards in a low-power state that reduces the quiescent current to approximately 10 µA to 20 µA per volt on VIN.
The modules have built-in reverse-voltage protection, short-circuit protection, a thermal shutdown feature that helps prevent damage from overheating, a soft-start feature that reduces inrush current, and an under-voltage lockout.
The different voltage versions of this regulator all look very similar, so you should consider adding your own distinguishing marks or labels if you will be working simultaneously with multiple versions. This product page applies to all versions of the D24V50Fx family.
For lower-power applications, please consider our D24V25Fx family of step-down voltage regulators; these are slightly smaller, pin-compatible versions of this regulator with typical maximum output current of 2.5 A.
Two larger, higher-power, 5 V versions of this regulator are also available: one with a typical maximum output current of 6 A, and the other with a typical maximum output current of 9 A. The higher-power versions also have a few additional features, like a ?power good? signal and the ability to lower their output voltage, and they include optional terminal blocks for easy removable connections.
- Input voltage:
- 4.5 V to 38 V for the version that outputs 3.3 V
- [output voltage + dropout voltage] to 38 V for output voltages of 5 V and higher (see below for more information on dropout voltage)
- Fixed 3.3 V or 5 V (depending on regulator version) with 4% accuracy
- Typical maximum continuous output current: 5 A
- Integrated reverse-voltage protection, over-current protection, over-temperature shutoff, soft-start, and under-voltage lockout
- Typical efficiency of 85% to 95%, depending on input voltage and load; the switching frequency automatically changes at light loads to maintain high efficiencies
- Typical no-load quiescent current under 1 mA; can be reduced to 10 µA to 20 µA per volt on VIN by disabling the board* Compact size: 0.7? × 0.8? × 0.35? (17.8 mm × 20.3 mm × 8.8 mm)
- Two 0.086? mounting holes for #2 or M2 screws