The SparkFun ESP8266 WiFi Shield is an Arduino compatible shield for the ESP8266 WiFi SoC – a leading platform for Internet of Things (IoT) or WiFi-related projects. There are a variety of designs based around the ESP8266, including tiny, modular boards and more accessible development boards like our very own SparkFun ESP8266 Thing. The ESP8266 WiFi Shield finds a middle ground between the Module and the Thing that provides a great introduction to the ESP8266 – without leaving the comfortable hardware confines of your Arduino. If you just have an Arduino project that needs an inexpensive gateway to the Internet, the ESP8266 WiFi Shield does everything from turning on an LED to posting data with phant.io.
The ESP8266 WiFi Shield comes pre-flashed with an AT-command firmware, so it can be controlled by any UART, but it also breaks out and provides command access to all of the ESP8266’s I/O. Since this is an Arduino shield, it makes it easy to attach to any development board that utilizes the Arduino R3 layout. All it will take is a little soldering to attach the necessary headers. The ESP8266 is much more than a simple serial-to-WiFi gateway. It has almost a dozen I/O that can be configured as digital inputs or outputs – it even has an ADC! These GPIO are all broken out towards the top-left side of the shield. Additionally, the ESP8266 WiFi Shield can be repurposed and reprogrammed through the programming port found on the top-right side of the shield. Whether you want to add AT commands of your own, or flash custom firmware on the ESP8266, this port may come in very handy especially with it utilizing the pinout of our FTDI Basic breakouts.
Technical Details of WiFi Shield
- Arduino R3 Layout
- 802.11 b/g/n
- Wi-Fi Direct (P2P), soft-AP
- Integrated TCP/IP protocol stack
- Integrated TR switch, balun, LNA, power amplifier and matching network
- Integrated PLLs, regulators, DCXO and power management units
- Integrated low power 32-bit CPU could be used as application processor
- +19.5dBm output power in 802.11b mode
Technical Details of ESP8266EX
- 802.11 b/g/n support
- 2 x Wi-Fi interface, supports infrastructure BSS Station mode / P2P mode / SoftAP
- mode support
- Hardware accelerators for CCMP (CBC-MAC, counter mode), TKIP (MIC, RC4), WAPI (SMS4), WEP (RC4), CRC
- 802.11n support (2.4 GHz)
- Supports MIMO 1×1 and 2×1, STBC, and 0.4 μs guard interval
- UMA compliant and certified
- Antenna diversity and selection (software managed hardware)
- Configurable packet traffic arbitration (PTA) with dedicated slave processor based design provides flexible and exact timing Bluetooth co-existence support for a wide range of Bluetooth Chip vendor.
- Dual and single antenna Bluetooth co-existence support with optional simultaneous receive (Wi-Fi/Bluetooth) capability
You can also check our "Dokumente" for more information
1x SparkFun WiFi Shield - ESP8266