The Sharp distance sensors are a popular choice for many projects that require accurate distance measurements. This IR sensor is more economical than sonar rangefinders, yet it provides much better performance than other IR alternatives. Interfacing to most microcontrollers is straightforward: the single analog output can be connected to an analog-to-digital converter for taking distance measurements, or the output can be connected to a comparator for threshold detection. The detection range of this version is approximately 20 cm to 150 cm (8" to 60").
The GP2Y0A02 uses a 3-pin JST PH connector that works with our 3-pin JST PH cables for Sharp distance sensors (not included); the top picture on the right shows a shorter-range Sharp analog distance sensor with one of these cables. These cables have 3-pin JST connectors on one end and are available with pre-crimped male pins, pre-crimped female pins, and with unterminated wires on the other end. It is also possible to solder three wires to the sensor where the connector pins are mounted (see the lower picture to the right). When looking at the back, the three connections from left to right are power, ground, and the output signal.
We also carry an assortment of mounting brackets designed specifically for this sensor. The pictures below show these brackets being used with a shorter-range version of this sensor, which has the same width and height but a shorter depth:
- Operating voltage: 4.5 V to 5.5 V
- Average current consumption: 33 mA (note: this sensor draws current in large, short bursts, and the manufacturer recommends putting a 10 µF capacitor or larger across power and ground close to the sensor to stabilize the power supply line)
- Distance measuring range: 20 cm to 150 cm (8" to 60")
- Output type: analog voltage
- Output voltage differential over distance range: 2.05 V (typical)
- Update period: 38 ± 10 ms
- Size: 44.5 mm × 18.9 mm × 21.6 mm (1.75" × 0.75" × 0.85")
- Weight: 5 g (0.18 oz)
1x Sharp GP2Y0A02YK0F Analog Distance Sensor 20-150cm
Note: The cable is not included.