Clearance: This product is being replaced by a newer version PO4007 with an improved 5V regulator that can deliver more current (up to 1.8 A instead of 1.5 A) and operates from 2 V to 16 V instead of 2.7 V to 11.8 V. The easiest way to distinguish between the two versions is via the silkscreen on the bottom side of the board, above and to the left of the Pololu logo, where the original version is labeled ac03b and the new version is labeled ac03e. The new version is also a lighter shade of blue than the original. The picture to the right shows the two versions side-by-side. This product will be discontinued when stock runs out and is not recommended for new designs where continued part availability is important.
The Pololu A-Star 32U4 Prime is a general-purpose programmable board based on the ATmega32U4 AVR microcontroller from Microchip (formerly Atmel) and arranged in the common Arduino form factor exemplified by the Uno R3 and Leonardo. As such, the A-Star Prime (abbreviated A* Prime) is compatible with many Arduino shields, including all of the Arduino shields we carry. All 26 of the microcontroller’s GPIO lines are accessible on the board, including seven than can be used as PWM outputs and twelve that can be used as analog inputs. The ATmega32U4 is capable of native full-speed USB, which makes it more versatile than similar boards that rely on USB-to-serial adapters: in addition to supporting a virtual (CDC) serial/COM port interface, the A-Star can appear to a connected computer as a mouse and keyboard. The A-Star’s USB interface can be accessed through its USB Micro-B connector.
The A* Prime supports the on-board microcontroller with many additional features and improvements over competing products, including enhanced connectivity and superior power management. The Prime is available in two main versions: LV, which features a blue solder mask and a step-up/step-down voltage regulator that allows operation from 2.7 V to 11.8 V, and SV, which features a green solder mask and a switching step-down regulator that allows operation from 5 V to 36 V. Each version is available in several different configurations: with or without preinstalled through-hole components like standard Arduino female headers and with or without microSD support. There is also a configuration available for each version with an 8×2 character LCD.
- Size:2.8? × 2.1? (common Arduino form factor)
- Weight:19 g
- Processor:ATmega32U4 @ 16 MHz
- RAM size:2560 bytes
- Program memory size:32 Kbytes1
- Motor channels:0
- User I/O lines:26
- Input voltage range:2.7 V to 11.8 V (LV)
- Minimum operating voltage:2.7 V
- Maximum operating voltage:11.8 V
- Maximum output current:1.5 A2
- Logic voltage:5 V
- Reverse voltage protection?:Y
- External programmer required?:N
- Version:includes no microSD support and preinstalled female headers
- PCB dev codes:ac03b
- Other PCB markings:0J8603
- 1.Note that 4 KB of the MCU's 32 KB of flash memory is used by the pre-installed USB bootloader. All 32 KB is available when programming via the ISP header rather than the bootloader.
- 2.Available current depends on input voltage, current consumed by the board, ambient conditions, and regulator topology. See product documentation and performance graphs for details.