The D36V28Fx family of buck (step-down) voltage regulators generates lower output voltages from input voltages as high as 50 V. They are switching regulators (also called switched-mode power supplies (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converters), which makes them much more efficient than linear voltage regulators, especially when the difference between the input and output voltage is large. These regulators can typically support continuous output currents between 2 A and 4 A, depending on the input voltage and output voltage. In general, the available output current is a little higher for the lower-voltage versions than it is for the higher-voltage versions, and it decreases as the input voltage increases.
The regulators have reverse voltage protection up to 40 V, output undervoltage and overvoltage protection, over-current protection, and short-circuit protection. A thermal shutdown feature also helps prevent damage from overheating and a soft-start feature limits the inrush current and gradually ramps the output voltage on startup.
- Input voltage: 5.3 V to 50 V (minimum input subject to dropout voltage considerations)
- Output voltage: 5 V with 4% accuracy
- Typical maximum continuous output current: 2.5 A to 4 A
- Typical efficiency of 80% to 90%, depending on input voltage, output voltage, and load
- Switching frequency: ~500 kHz under heavy loads
- Power-save mode with ultrasonic operation that increases light load efficiency by reducing switching frequency, but keeps it above the audible range (20 kHz)
- 2 mA to 3 mA typical no-load quiescent current
- Enable input for disconnecting the load and putting the regulator into a low-power state that draws approximately 10 µA to 20 µA per volt on VIN
- "Power good" output indicates when the regulator cannot adequately maintain the output voltage
- Output undervoltage and overvoltage protection
- Soft-start feature limits inrush current and gradually ramps output voltage
- Integrated reverse-voltage protection up to 40 V, over-current and short-circuit protection, over-temperature shutoff
- Compact size: 0.7" × 0.8" × 0.345" (17.8 mm × 20.3 mm × 8.8 mm)
- Two 0.086? mounting holes for #2 or M2 screws
- Size: 0.7" × 0.8" × 0.345"1
- Weight: 3.3 g1
- Minimum operating voltage: 5.3 V2
- Maximum operating voltage: 50 V
- Continuous output current: 3.2 A3
- Output voltage: 5 V
- Reverse voltage protection?: Y4
- Maximum quiescent current: 3 mA5
- Output type: fixed 5V
- Without included optional headers.
- Subject to dropout voltage considerations. See the dropout voltage graph under the description tab for more information.
- Typical continuous output current at 36 V in. Actual achievable continuous output current is a function of input voltage and is limited by thermal dissipation. See the output current graph under the description tab for more information.
- To -40 V. Connecting supplies over 40 V in reverse can damage the device.
- While enabled with no load. Can be reduced to under 1 mA using the enable pin.
1x Pololu 5V, 3.2A Step-Down Voltage Regulator D36V28F5