The U3V70x boost (step-up) voltage regulators are high-current, high-efficiency synchronous switching regulators that generate higher output voltages from input voltages as low as 2.9 V. The regulators actively limit the instantaneous input currents to 10 A, and the input current can typically be as high as 8 A for several seconds before the thermal protection activates. Input currents of around 6 A can typically be maintained for many minutes without triggering thermal shutdown, though the actual performance depends on depending on the input and output voltages as well as external factors such as ambient temperature and airflow. For boost regulators, the output current equals the input current times the efficiency times the ratio of VIN to VOUT, so the more you are boosting, the lower the maximum output current will be (see the Typical efficiencies and output currents section below for performance graphs).
These regulators feature a variety of built-in protections, including reverse voltage protection to keep your load safe in the event power is accidentally connected backward, and unlike most boost regulators, these units offer a true shutdown option that turns off power to the load (with typical boost regulators, the input voltage will pass directly through to the output when they are disabled).
Features and specifications
- Input voltage: 2.9 V to 12 V
- Output voltage: 12 V with 4% accuracy
- True shutdown option turns off power to the load
- Typical efficiency of 80% to 95%, depending on input voltage and load (see the Typical efficiencies and output currents section below for performance graphs)
- 10 A switch allows for:
- Instantaneous input currents up to 10 A
- Input currents up to 7 A for several seconds
- Input currents up to 6 A for prolonged durations
- low quiescent current
- Integrated protections:
- Reverse voltage protection
- Short-circuit protection with hiccup recovery
- Over-temperature shutoff
- Under-voltage lockout (typical thresholds are 2.4 V falling, 2.8 V rising)
- Cycle-by-cycle input current limiting to 10 A
- Compact size: 1.6? × 0.6? × 0.18? (40.6 × 15.2 × 4.6 mm)
- Weight: 3.5 g
- Two mounting holes for #2 or M2 screws
- Smaller holes for 0.1? header pins and larger holes for terminal blocks offer several options for connecting to the board
- Size:0.6? × 1.6? × 0.18?1
- Weight:3.6 g2
- Minimum operating voltage:2.9 V
- Maximum operating voltage:12 V
- Maximum input current:10 A3
- Output voltage:12 V
- Reverse voltage protection?:Y
- Output type:fixed 12V
- PCB dev codes:reg21a
- Other PCB markings:0J11050, blank white box
- 1.Without included optional headers or terminal blocks. Height with terminal blocks installed is approximately 0.5?.
- 2.Without included optional headers or terminal blocks. Terminal blocks add 3.4 g.
- 3.Instantaneous. This is the rating for the switch, and regulator actively limits input current to this. Sustainable input current depends on input and output voltage and external conditions like ambient temperature and airflow.