The VL53L1X from ST Microelectronics is a long-distance ranging time-of-flight (TOF) sensor integrated into a compact module. This board is a carrier for the VL53L1X, so we recommend careful reading of the VL53L1X datasheet (1MB pdf) before using this product.
The VL53L1X is effectively a tiny, self-contained lidar system featuring an integrated 940 nm Class 1 laser, which is invisible and eye-safe. Unlike conventional IR sensors that use the intensity of reflected light to estimate the distance to an object, the VL53L1X uses ST?s FlightSense technology to precisely measure how long it takes for emitted pulses of infrared laser light to reach the nearest object and be reflected back to a detector. This approach ensures absolute distance measurements independent of ambient lighting conditions and target characteristics (e.g. color, shape, texture, and reflectivity), though these external conditions do affect the maximum range of the sensor, as do the sensor configuration settings.
Under favorable conditions, such as low ambient light with a high-reflectivity target, the sensor can report distances up to 4 m (13 ft) with 1 mm resolution. See the datasheet for more information on how various external conditions and sensor configurations affect things like maximum range, repeatability, and ranging error. The minimum ranging distance is 4 cm; inside of this range, the sensor will still detect a target, but the measurement will not be accurate. Ranging measurements are available through the sensor?s I²C (TWI) interface, which is also used to configure sensor settings, and the sensor provides two additional pins: a shutdown input and an interrupt output.
Features and specifications
- Dimensions: 0.5? × 0.7? × 0.085? (13 mm × 18 mm × 2 mm)
- Weight without header pins: 0.5 g (0.02 oz)
- Operating voltage: 2.6 V to 5.5 V
- Supply current: ~15 mA (typical average during active ranging at max sampling rate)
- Varies with configuration, target, and environment; peak current can reach 40 mA
- Fast and accurate ranging with three distance mode options:
- Short: up to ~130 cm, 50 Hz max sampling rate; this mode is the most immune to interference from ambient light
- Medium: up to ~300 cm in the dark, 30 Hz max sampling rate
- Long: up to 400 cm in the dark, 30 Hz max sampling rate
- Minimum range: 4 cm (objects under this range are detected, but measurements are not accurate)
- Emitter: 940 nm invisible Class 1 VCSEL (vertical cavity surface-emitting laser) ? eye-safe
- Detector: 16×16 SPAD (single photon avalanche diode) receiving array with integrated lens
- Typical full field of view (FoV): 27°
- Programmable region of interest (ROI) size on the receiving array, allowing the sensor FoV to be reduced
- Programmable ROI position on the receiving array, allowing multizone operation control from the host
- Configurable detection interrupt thresholds for implementing autonomous low-power presence detection:
- target closer than threshold
- target farther than threshold
- target within distance window
- target outside of distance window
- no target
- Output format (I²C): 16-bit distance reading (in millimeters)
- Size: 0.5? × 0.7? × 0.085?1
- Weight: 0.5 g1
- Resolution: 1 mm
- Maximum range: 400 cm2
- Minimum range: 4 cm3
- Interface: I²C
- Minimum operating voltage: 2.6 V
- Maximum operating voltage: 5.5 V
- Supply current: 15 mA4
- PCB dev codes: irs11a
- Other markings: 0J9776
- 1. Without included optional headers.
- 2. Effective range depends on configuration, target, and environment.
- 3. The sensor will still detect targets closer than this, but the measurement will not be accurate.
- 4. Typical average during active ranging at 50 Hz; varies with configuration, target, and environment. Peak current can reach 40 mA.