The Maxbotics LV-MaxSonar-EZ family of sonar range finders offers very short- to long-range detection and ranging in an incredibly small package with ultra-low power consumption. The LV-MaxSonar-EZ detects objects from 0 to 6.45 meters (21.2 feet) and provides sonar range information beyond 15 cm (6"") with a resolution of 2.5 cm resolution (1 in). Objects between 0 and 15 cm range as 15 cm. The sensor provides three output interfaces, all of which are active simultaneously: digital pulse width output, analog voltage output, and asynchronous serial digital output. The LV-MaxSonar is available in five factory-calibrated beam patterns (EZ0-4).
For a higher-resolution, longer-range version, please consider the XL-MaxSonar-EZ and XL-MaxSonar-AE families of distance sensors.
Specifications and Features
- Small and light: 0.870"" x 0.785"" x 0.645"" (2.2 x 2.0 x 1.6 cm), 0.15 oz (4.3 g)
- Long range detection: 0 – 6.45 m (21.2 ft)
- No dead zone (detections from 0 to 6"" are output as 6"")
- Resolution of 1"" (2.5 cm)
- Low typical current consumption: 2 mA
- Runs on 2.5 – 5.5 V
- 42 kHz ultrasonic sensor
- 20 Hz reading rate
- Free-run or triggered operation
- Three interfaces (all are active simultaneously):
- Serial output: asynchronous, logic-level, inverted, 9600 bps 8N1
- Analog output: (Vcc/512) / inch (10 mV/inch when input voltage Vcc = 5 V)
- Pulse width output: 147 μs/inch
Selecting the right distance sensor
Since there are 15 members of the XL- and LV-MaxSonar acoustic distance sensor family, we recommend using the Maxbotix sonar range finder selection guide when choosing a acoustic range sensor for your application. There are 5 different beam configurations for the LV-MaxSonar family (EZ0 ‐ EZ4), each pictured below.