This product is a carrier board or breakout board for the MP6500 stepper motor driver from Monolithic Power Systems (MPS); we therefore recommend careful reading of the MP6500 datasheet before using this product. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to approximately 1.8 A per phase continuously without a heat sink or forced air flow (see the Power dissipation considerations section below for more information). Here are some of the driver?s key features:
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Four different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, 1/4-step, and 1/8-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor?s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Two current limit control options available:
- Potentiometer Current Control ? this carrier version uses an on-board trimmer potentiometer to set the current limit up to 2.5 A
- Digital Current Control ? this carrier version allows a microcontroller to dynamically adjust the current limit up to around 2 A
- Internal current sensing allows the driver to automatically adjust the decay mode as necessary to provide the smoothest current waveform
- 4.5 V to 35 V supply voltage range
- Can deliver 1.8 A per phase continuously without additional cooling
- Built-in regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)
- Can interface directly with 3.3 V and 5 V systems
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, over-current shutdown, short circuit protection, and under-voltage lockout
- 4-layer, 2 oz copper PCB for improved heat dissipation
- Exposed solderable ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB
- Module size, pinout, and interface match those of our A4988 stepper motor driver carriers in most respects
This product ships with all surface-mount components?including the MP6500 driver IC?installed as shown in the product picture.
Some unipolar stepper motors (e.g. those with six or eight leads) can be controlled by this driver as bipolar stepper motors. For more information, please see the frequently asked questions. Unipolar motors with five leads be used with this driver.
This version of the MP6500 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier uses an on-board trimmer potentiometer to set the current limit (we also carry a version of this carrier that offers digital current control, which allows a microcontroller to make dynamic current limit adjustments).
1x MP6500 stepper motor driver
1×16-pin breakaway 0.1? male header