The Adafruit ATWINC1500 WiFi Shield uses SPI to communicate plus some GPIO for control, so with about 6 wires, you can get your wired up and ready to go. Right now the Atmel-supplied library works best with SAMD21-based boards like the Arduino Zero or Metro M0 Express, or the Arduino Mega. It works OK on Uno but uses nearly all the memory so it may be a challenge to build complex projects. It will not work/fit on other Arduinos such as 32u4-based or attiny-based boards. You can clock it as fast as 12MHz for speedy, reliable packet streaming. And scanning/connecting to networks is very fast, a few seconds.
This module works with 802.11b, g, or n networks & supports WEP, WPA and WPA2 encryption. You can use it in Soft AP mode to create an ad-hoc network. For secure client connections, there is TLS 1.2 support! This version of the shield comes with a uFL connector that can be used to attach external antennas.
These SPI-protocol WiFi module are currently the best way to add WiFi to your Arduino-compatible so we've decided to make a handy shield for it. The shield comes with level shifting on all the input pins so you can use it with 3V or 5V logic boards. A 3.3V voltage regulator that can handle the 300mA spikes lets you power from 3-5.5VDC. There's also 3 LEDs that you can control over the SPI interface (part of the library code) or you can have controlled by the Arduino library. They'll light up when connected to an SSID, or transmitting data.
Technical Details of WiFi Shield
- Product Dimensions: 68.0mm x 53.0mm x 4.7mm / 2.7" x 2.1" x 0.2"
- Product Weight: 13.6g / 0.5oz
Technical Details of ATWINC1500
- Single-band 2.4GHz b/g/n
- Extreme low power
- Compact footprint: 5 x 5 mm QFN
- Operating voltage: 3.0V to 4.2V
- Serial host interface: SPI
- Security protocols supported: WPA/WPA2 Personal, TLS, SSL
- Network services: DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP (IPv4), UDP, HTTP, HTTPS
- Antenna Options:
- Chip and PCB antenna (ATWINC1500-MR210PB)
- Chip and u.FL connector (ATWINC1500-MR210UB)
- Available in a fully-certified module package:
- ATWINC1500-MR210PB1952 (4Mb flash)
- ATWINC1510-MR210PB1952 (8Mb flash)
- Part numbers reflect SW version, now available with SDK v19.5.2
- Recommended for new designs
- SDK 19.5.2 with TLS v1.2 server mode support, Crypto ECC508 integration, WPA2 security to AP mode & more
- Integrated into Atmel Studio 7 - See ASF release notes
- ATWINC1510-MR210PB1944 (Legacy SDK)
- Atmel Software Framework (ASF) Free Software download available
You can also cheek our "Dokumente" for more information
1xAdafruit WINC1500 WiFi Shield with uFL Connector